- 3 free range eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1tsp almond extract
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 200ml almond milk
- 100ml sunflower oil
- 150g plain flour
- 75g cornflour
- 1 medium orange – zest only
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Lightly grease the savarin mould with a little of the sunflower oil and dust with a teaspoon of flour. This will help the cake to keeps its shape when you come to remove it later on.
- Separate the eggs into two clean bowls. Using an electric beater, whisk up the egg whites until they reach the stiff peak stage (a soft mountain will form in the mix when you remove the beaters and hold its shape).
- In the second bowl, whisk together the egg yolks with the sugar and vanilla extract until it is light and fluffy. Continue whisking while you pour to sunflower oil in a steady stream before adding the almond milk.
- Sift together the two flours before beating into the egg yolk mix.
- Fold in the stiffened egg whites to the golden yolk batter. To do this, beat in a couple of spoonfuls of the egg whites to help slacken the yellow batter before folding the rest of the egg whites through with a metal spoon. Be careful to keep as much air in the mix as possible without leaving any flecks of egg white.
- Finally, fold through the orange zest before gently pouring the batter into the prepared savarin tin.
- Bake in the oven for around 30 minutes until the cake is golden and a skewer comes out clean from the thickest part of the ring.
- Allow the cake to rest in the tin for 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Once cool, dust thickly with icing sugar and serve.
- Category: Breakfast, Baking, Cake
Keywords: Baking, Breakfast, Breakfast Cake, Cake, Dairy-Free