- 50g instant mashed potato powder
- 150g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt flakes
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 200ml boiling water
- 1 tsp (heaped) unsalted butter
- Pop the mashed potato powder into a boil with the salt and butter. Pour the freshly boiled water over the top and beat to combine.
- Add the plain flour and baking powder, beating until everything is mixed well together into a stiff dough.
- Place a dry pan over a medium heat. Heavily flour a work surface and your hands before scooping the dough out of the bowl. Quickly fold the dough all together and pat out into round disc about 2-3cm deep. Rub some flour over the top of the disc and slice into quarters with a sharp knife.
- Carefully lift the quarters into the pan and cook on one side for four minutes. Use a pallet knife to turn the quarters over and cook for a further 4 minutes. By this point, the dough should be golden on each side, with dark spots of colour.
- Serve immediately with the topping of your choice.
- Method: Irish
- Cuisine: Breakfast
Keywords: Breakfast, Irish Potato Cakes, Irish Potato Faros, Tattie Scones